Monday, June 2, 2008

Yves Saint Laurent: A retrospective


I've been thinking a lot about Yves Saint Laurent since his death yesterday and I wanted to see a collection of his most influential clothes. I never realized how he transformed the way women dressed. The "Le Smoking" tuxedo gave women the alternative to wear a pantsuit, rather than a skirt, which previously was seen only on men. Saint Laurent liberated women by giving them the option to choose to dress in a masculine way.
He really trounced traditional ways of dressing and made up his own rules: break them all. This can also be seen in his see-through evening clothes, safari jackets and " rich peasant" haute couture. He changed the way modern women dressed.

A full retrospective of his collections

I got a WWD update that his funeral is being held this Thursday in Paris near the Louvre. Since I will be in Paris then, I've decided to go to the funeral to pay my respects to this grand artist. (Photos: Style.com)



"Le Smoking"


Peacoat

Africa

Black evening dress


Bridal

Dali

Forties Revival

"Love Me Forever"

Mondrian

Peasant

Picasso

Pop Art

Safari

Evening wear

Spanish

The Blazer

The Pantsuit

The Pantsuit

The Tunic

No comments: