Friday, July 4, 2008

Change in the fashion industry? Yes, at Givenchy

When I was flipping through the photos of the Givenchy Fall 2008 Couture collection, I thought there was some mistake. The first three models to walk the show were ethnic (Indian and Black.) After newcomer Sessilee Lopez walked, I had a second of madness where I thought the whole show would be filled with non-white models. Of course that didn't happen, and Lopez, Jourdan Dunn and Lakshmi Menon were the only ethnic models in the show, but three is usually three or two ethnic models that shows usually have. And the fact that all three opened the show is really different and I hope a sign that the industry is finally listening to the rest of us: That there needs to be more ethnic models in Western fashion.
Let's see what happens when the ready-to-wear season begins. (Photos: Style.com)

Lakshmi Menon

Jourdan Dunn
Sessilee Lopez

No comments: