Wednesday, April 1, 2009

What inspires you more?

This:

Or this:

This:


Or this:


This:


Or this:



This:



Or this:

This:
Or this:


This:


Or this:

This:

Or this:



Continuing the theme of yesterday's post about how influential style bloggers are; I've picked two of my favourites: fashion toast and karla's closet and compared them to American fashion magazines Harper's Bazaar, Elle and Vogue.

Which ones did you pick as the most inspiring?

For me, nine times out of 10, the style blogs win. Don't get me wrong; the magazine photos are beautiful but they aren't nearly as exciting and fresh as the bloggers.

Independent bloggers are free to be their most creative and experimental. Even if something looks totally wrong, it's still cool to look at. Usually they are spot-on with their clothing and accessory choices because they aren't slaves to trends and seasons. They don't wear couture or designer clothes; they wear vintage and finds from Top Shop, Forever 21 and the flea market. Their styling makes us sartorially-challenged folk see how we can dress fashionably without spending a fortune on clothes.

When I look at Rumi's (fashion toast) latest outfit adventures, I go "ah! So I can pair that navy military blazer with jean shorts, tights and high boots and it will actually work on me!" I don't get relevations like that when I'm looking at the pages of Vogue.
When I look at fashion magazines I see beautiful photographs that I love looking at but they don't inspire me or help me dress better.

Fashion bloggers make me see that I shouldn't be afraid to experiment with clothing and accessories. They give me hope!

(Pictures from karla's closet, fashion toast and the fashion spot)

2 comments:

M said...

hi. i kind of stubble to you rblog and i think what u have written is right. it makes sense. i hope to read more from you.

xoxo
http://holyfatt.blogspot.com/

newyorker said...

for me, i believe what u have written is right!

plz check my ebay store!

store.ebay.com/helllooks

xoxo